Grant Thornton launches search for 2018 photographers
This competition has now closed – Winners will be announced in due course
Win a chance to photograph leaders of business, third sector and public sector organisations in a national campaign with JSR and Grant Thornton.
You will be mentored by an esteemed professional photographer who will then accompany you up and down the country to capture images of the most innovative, inspiring, disruptive, purposeful and high growth leaders in the UK today.
Previous examples include John Vincent MBE, CEO of LEON; Dr Jane Collins, CEO of Marie Curie; Oliver Tress, founder of Oliver Bonas; Liz Warner, CEO of Comic Relief; Kim Atherton, CPO of OVO Energy and Julie Deane OBE, founder of Cambridge Satchel Company.
- Over 18 years old.
- At least two years’ experience as an amateur photographer with a full portfolio of example photography, or at least two years’ experience as a photography student.
- Professional experience is desirable, but is not compulsory.
- Education background – degree level preferred but not required.
Each mentee will be expected to attend shoots for two weeks over a proposed timeframe between mid-May and early September (a broader range of availability over this timeframe will be appreciated):
- w/c 21st May
- w/c 4th June
- w/c 11th June
- w/c 25th June
- w/c 2nd July
- w/c 9th July
- w/c 30th July
- w/c 20th August
- w/c 27th August
- w/c 3rd September
- w/c 10th September
Logistical requirements – you will be expected to travel to various locations across the UK with potential overnight stays (expenses and subsistence will be covered).
You will not be expected to have professional equipment – this will be provided by JSR.
- Instagram competition – Single image application through Instagram.
- Review of other photography from Instagram feed.
- Invitation to one day bootcamp for 10 participants (shortlisted mentees must be available to travel to London the w/c 7th May 2018), with the JSR head of photography, Jon Attenborough.
- 5 photography mentees will be chosen after bootcamp to photograph the Faces of a Vibrant Economy.
Grant Thornton background
Grant Thornton is one of the world’s largest professional services firms. It provides advisory, assurance, tax and outsourcing services for companies across all industries and sectors.
Vibrant Economy was founded by Grant Thornton as a vision for a UK which enables everyone, unlocking the potential for growth in people, businesses and communities.
Vibrant Economy is founded in a belief that business should be a force for positive change. It advocates a new and better way of working. It has three central pillars: building trust and integrity in the market, unlocking sustainable growth in dynamic organisations and creating environments where businesses and people flourish.
Collaboration is at the heart of achieving this purpose. By encouraging the private, public and third sectors to work together, the UK can achieve shared goals, tackle challenges and inspire future generations to do the same.
Faces of a Vibrant Economy
The UK is brimming with great examples of people and organisations already working to shape a vibrant economy. Grant Thornton have created a programme to identify these role models, celebrating 100 of them each year.
The Faces of a Vibrant Economy are leaders that are recognised for their vision in supporting a more innovative and purposeful business environment. They are drawn from industries, sectors and organisations of all sizes around the country and are nominated and judged against three criteria: growth, innovation and purpose.
There are now 200 Faces of a Vibrant Economy – representing all industries and corners of the UK. Faces range from app developers to brewers and charity heroes. In 2016 and 2017, we worked with Magnum Photos and Getty Images to photograph the Faces. The gallery launch events have taken place in London over the past two years: firstly at Central St Martins and secondly at Rich Mix.
This year, each of the selected Faces will take part in a photoshoot with the JSR photography agency. The photoshoots will be taking place at the Faces’ offices and working spaces, looking to capture the business leaders in their daily environments, and conveying the reasons for their selection as a Face of a Vibrant Economy.
JSR is the agency who will be training you as you accompany and assist their chief photographer on a portion of the photoshoots.
JSR are an agency with a world-class roster of artists, whose expertise range from landscape and fashion, to product and car photography. They specialise in portraiture and landscapes photography, working with the likes of Sony, Nike and Coca-Cola over the years.
Jon Attenborough – Head of photography
Photographer Jon Attenborough left England and headed to Australia after graduating from Plymouth University with a degree in film and photography in 2002. He spent several years as an assistant director on TV commercials, dramas and films including Wolverine, Superman and Australia.
He settled in London in 2013, specialising in portrait and lifestyle photography. Having picked up commissions for brands including Stand Up to Cancer, Reebok, Puma, The North Face and Fred Perry, Jon’s work is bold, clean and simplistic.
Jon will be your mentor throughout the project, accompanying you on every shoot and guiding you through the process. Under his tutelage, you will be given a chance to take the lead on the photography, while also being given valuable professional guidance on on-set etiquette, client interaction and handling of the equipment.
Terms & Conditions
- A complete release of Instagram by each entrant or participant.
- Acknowledgement that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram.
- You must not inaccurately tag content or encourage users to inaccurately tag content (ex: don’t encourage people to tag themselves in photos if they aren’t in the photo).
- Open to entrants over 18, UK only, able to travel/be available between the months of May – September 2018.
- Judges’ decisions are final and based on criteria set at our discretion.
- Entries should be submitted by tagging the image you would like to enter on Instagram with #vibrantfaces2018. We regret that we are unable to accept postal entries.
- All entries must be received by the advertised closing time and date.
- All images submitted must be the work of the individual submitting them and must not have been published elsewhere or have won a prize in any other photographic competition. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that any images they submit have been taken with the permission of the subject and do not infringe the copyright of any third party or any laws.
- Entrants must warrant that the photograph they are submitting is their own work and that they own the copyright for it
- By submitting an entry, each entrant grants us a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to edit, publish, translate, modify, adapt, make available and distribute the entry throughout the world in any media now known or hereafter invented.
- The 5 winning entrants will have at least one image appear at the Faces of a Vibrant Economy exhibition held in London.
- Shortlist mentees must be available to travel to London the w/c 7th May 2018.
- English law applies and the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts shall prevail.
- The winner agrees to the use of their name and image in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner and any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party.